Finding the right job can be hard work. The Student Academic Affairs and Career Development Office is here to help. We’ve compiled the following resources to help you in your job or internship search.
Handshake makes it easy for every UW-Madison student to explore career events, connect to jobs and internships, and even schedule on-campus interviews. With Handshake you can:
- Browse and register for career events on campus
- Explore thousands of jobs and internships from over 200,000 employers nationwide
- Get personalized job recommendations based on your major, interests, and more
- Manage your own campus interviews with top employers
To Get Started:
- Visit https://wisc.joinhandshake.com
- Activate your account by clicking the blue button or entering your wisc.edu email address
- Complete your profile and start exploring!
See the Help Resources below, or contact us for more information.
The School of Human Ecology (SoHE) is pleased to offer current SoHE students a FREE career development tool that features a new and innovative way to help you prepare more effectively for a job interview.
Big Interview is an online system that combines training AND practice to help improve your interview technique and build your confidence.
• Challenging, virtual mock interviews for all experience levels and dozens of industries
• A database of thousands of interview questions along with tips on how to answer them
• The ability to rate your interview answers as well as share them with others for feedback
• A comprehensive video training curriculum covering all aspects of landing a job
• A step-by-step interview Answer Builder for crafting answers to behavioral questions
To set up your SoHE Big Interview account, just follow these three simple steps:
STEP 1: Go to https://sohe-wisc.biginterview.com/ and click “Register”.
STEP 2: Complete the registration process using your wisc.edu email address.
STEP 3: Click “Verify” in the confirmation email you receive, and you’ll be able to start using Big Interview.
Questions? Contact your Career Advisor.
SoHE Career Guide
An effective job application should demonstrate a connection between your knowledge, skills, and experiences in relations to what the employer is looking for in potential candidates. Develop strong application materials by using SoHE’s comprehensive and major-specific career guides. To download and save a copy of your career guide, click on the title with (PDF) below. Otherwise, you may simply view the embedded PDF below it on your mobile device.
Have your application materials reviewed by a SoHE Career Advisor prior to applying for an internship or full-time position! We are here to help.
Internship and Job Sites
In addition to Handshake, the following sites can help you in your job/internship search:
- Wisconsin Local JobNetwork™
- GoingGlobal jobs and internships worldwide
- Idealist.org nonprofit jobs, internships, and volunteer opportunities
- Volunteeryourtime.org for opportunities in Dane County
The University of Wisconsin-Madison hosts a variety of career fairs throughout the school year. These opportunities allow students to connect with specific employers about their companies and available internships and full-time positions. Login to Handshake to view upcoming fairs and organizations registered to attend. And check out our Career Fair Guide for 8 tips for working the career fair below!