|First semester transfer students, and students with fewer than 60 earned GPA credits, a minimal 2.75 cumulative GPA, and not on probation in their school/college.
Declare your SoHE major using the SoHE Major Declaration form. You are not required to complete the Online Major Application. Call 608-262-2608 or email email@example.com to discuss your process.
|Interior Architecture Phase II
Applications are accepted in spring term only. Please see IA Admissions for additional
All other students must complete the online major application, open during the first four weeks of fall and spring semester, to apply to the following SoHE majors: Personal Finance, Financial Planning, Retailing & Consumer Behavior, Community & Nonprofit Leadership, Human Development & Family Studies, and Textiles & Fashion Design. All students interested in either the Certificate in Textiles & Design or Design Strategy must also apply. Admission into programs depends both on the quality of the application materials and on the availability of space in the program.
The application for the Fall semester is open now. Apply HERE!
- Students can apply for multiple majors and the certificate, but must fill out a separate application for each program
- Applications are accepted twice a year and are open during the first four weeks of each fall and spring semester
- Students can apply to a SoHE department a maximum of two times
- In order to be eligible to apply, students must be in good academic standing with their current school or college
- Students may formally appeal a denied admission decision
- No late applications are accepted
- Students are notified of admission decision approximately one month after the application deadline
Criteria for Admission
Faculty Admissions committees will review all applicants and will give preference to students who have some or all of the following:
- Experience (paid or volunteer) in work related to the major
- Other life experiences that show a commitment to the major
- Life experiences and personal characteristics that will enrich our learning community
- Career goals that are a good fit with the major
- Competitive GPA
- Successful completion of some coursework in the major
- High quality application materials, including evidence of strong writing skills
Class standing (sophomore, junior, or senior) will also be considered in admissions decisions as it is necessary to have a balance of students across the different classes in the program.
The SoHE application includes an essay addressing the following prompt, “In no more than 500 words, please tell us what you hope to gain by pursuing this major, and what you would bring to the School of Human Ecology. Please note career goals/plans, relevant job or volunteer experience, and/or life experiences related to this major.”
The admissions committee evaluates the quality of the student’s writing in the application essay as part of the admissions process. Applicants are encouraged to work with The Writing Center.