I’ve got a woman’s ability to stick to a job and get on with it when everyone else walks off and leaves it.
When I was growing up in Seoul, Korea, every evening before dinner my dad always asked all four of us whether we had done anything worthwhile, something that would justify our eating the food set before us. That lesson helped me immensely later on in my life because it instilled a sense of purpose. I get excited about coming to work every day because I have a clear sense of where we are going as a school; we are dedicated to making the SoHE a pivotal part of the economic engine that drives the state of Wisconsin, while globally prominent. We want to become a compelling place for everyone to want to be a part of our future.
Most Recent Scholarly Papers- In Press or Published
- Friedline, T, West, S., Rosell, N., Serido, J., & Shim, S (in press). Do community characteristics related to young adult college students’ credit card debt? The Hypothesized role of collective institutional efficacy. American Journal of Community Psychology.
- Bosch, L. A., Serido, J., Card, N., Shim, S., & Barber, B. L. (in press). Predictors of Financial Identity Maturation in Emerging Adulthood. Emerging Adulthood.
- Serido, J., Curran, M. A., Wilmarth, M., Ahn, S. Y., Shim, S., & Ballard, J. (2015). The unique role of parents and romantic partners on young adults’ financial attitudes and behaviors. Family Relations, 64(5), 696-710. [Best Paper Award by the Family Economics Focus Group of NCFR, 2016]
- Shim, S., Serido, J., Tang, C., & Card, N. (2015). Socialization processes and pathways to healthy financial development for young adults. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 38, 29-38.
- Serido, J., Shim, S., Xiao, J. J.,Tang, C. & Card, N. (2014). Financial adaptation among college students: Helping students cope with financial strain. The Journal of College Student Development, 55(3), 310-316.
- Xiao, J. J., Ahn, S.Y., Serido, J., Shim, S. (2014). Earlier financial literacy and later financial behavior of college students. International Journal of Consumer Studies. Online First.
For a full list of Dean Shim’s featured publications, click here.