Retail Leadership Symposium (Consumer Science 250)
By Students: Sadie Kvistad, Alina Benun, Carly Lanzkowsky, David Lee, Drew Manchester, Greg Marcus, Iman Madison, Jingjing Li, Sidd Sridher, Taylor Kuehn, Kelsey Kominowski & Tony (Haoyang) Li
SoHE welcomed guest speaker Lauren Corwin (Recruiting Manager) from Von Maur department stores to speak in the Retail Leadership Symposium class on March 8th, 2017. Students learned about very first Von Maur store in Wisconsin, its unique shopping experience and its exceptional customer care. Along with learning about the store history and its recent addition to Wisconsin’s retail market, Lauren also spoke about the wonderful internship opportunities which Von Maur has to offer. Many students were able to consider these internships as a future opportunity.
Over the past 15 years Von Maur has been perfecting their plans to open their first Wisconsin store in Brookfield. Now that their plans are finalized, Von Maur will be holding a grand opening on April 8, 2017, at their new location in the Corners of Brookfield lifestyle center. Over 30 UW-Madison students, faculty, and staff even had the opportunity to visit the store on March 10, 2017 and experience everything it takes to open a brand new Von Maur store location.
The History behind Von Maur
- The first Von Maur store was opened in the 1800’s by the original Von Maur family.
- The first store originated in Davenport, Iowa, which is now also the home of the Von Maur
- There are currently 31 stores located in 14 states including Alabama, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New York, Ohio and Oklahoma.
- Von Maur will be opening their 32nd store on April 8, 2017, in Brookfield, Wisconsin.
- Von Maur is still to this day privately owned by the Von Maur family.
What Von Maur will bring to Wisconsin
- The selection of luxury and exclusive brands are unlike any other department stores.
- Each store sells goods from private local vendors unique to the store location.
- Von Maur takes pride in the level of quality merchandise they sell.
- Von Maur has a wide variety of goods ranging from good, better, and best product price points.
- Their career paths are largely focused on internal growth and selection from within the company. This means that all employees have many opportunities within the company.
- Stores are designed around an “open sell” design, allowing consumers to be more interactive with products.
- Von Maur provides a shopping experience like no other with the help of a pianist playing classical tunes on their famously known grand piano that sits in the middle of every Von Maur
Career Opportunities through Von Maur
- Management Internship: This opportunity is geared toward sophomores and Juniors in college who are looking to gain retail management experience. The selected students work as floor and department managers throughout the summer gaining exceptional experience. Participants also choose the store they would like to be located at for the summer term.
- Merchandising/ Buying Internship: Students are partnered with a buyer throughout the summer to learn about what it takes to become a buyer for a large retailer like Von Maur.
- Executive Training Program: During this program individuals will get a chance to learn all about the Von Maur customer while working as a sales associate. Individuals will learn what it takes to run a large company while shadowing and sitting in on classroom training at the store headquarters. The goal of this program is to promote executives into store Management or Buying positions within only the first year.
Von Maur is the store for every kind of consumer and will soon become a staple to the Corners of Brookfield retail center. To learn more about Von Maur and to follow their journey of opening their first store in Wisconsin follow their social media sites on…
Twitter – @Von_Maur
Facebook – @vonmaur
Instagram – @von_maur, @vonmaurcareers and @vonmaur_thecorners