To enable faculty members to engage in intensive study in order to become more effective teachers and scholars and to enhance their services to the University. Sabbatical leave may be granted for the purpose of enhancing teaching, course and curriculum development, or conducting research or any other scholarly activities related to instructional programs within the field of expertise of the faculty member. https://www.ohr.wisc.edu/grants/sabbatical.aspx
- We respect time reserved for sabbatical leave for sabbatical projects; however, from time to time, we may seek advice, input, and engagement for certain critical functions.
- We expect those on sabbatical leave remain connected to the School’s activities to the extent possible via online communications. It’s the individual’s responsibility to keep up with the critical departmental/school decisions and graduate student oversight.
- Sabbatical report must follow a sample example provided.
Special Award cases e.g. Humanities Fellowship, Faculty Development Grant:
- When faculty members are selected as a recipient of an award that requires salary matching or salary support from SoHE (similar to traditional sabbatical leave), the department will be expected to cover his/her teaching responsibilities.
- The department chair must consider this leave into the department’s overall sabbatical leave schedule so that the impact on teaching is minimized.
- This leave may also be considered a 6-month sabbatical leave, which may affect his/her sabbatical eligibility or priority.
- Each January the Dean’s office will provide the Chairs a list of all faculty eligible for sabbatical leave. Interested faculty must share their intention for sabbatical application with the chair no later than February 15th. The Chair reviews the sabbatical requests and seeks departmental input on impacts to department teaching resources and committee service responsibilities at the March department meeting.
- One faculty member per department to be on sabbatical leave during any given academic year (exceptions must be discussed with the Dean)
- Negotiations for timing should take place to minimize the impact on the department.
- Preferences should be given to those who exceeded the eligibility time frame, and those whose contributions to teaching programs will be greater.
- Priority will be given to those who are requesting the full year of sabbatical (given that teaching can be covered with salary savings).
- Upon initial departmental approval, candidates put together the formal application in consultation with the Chair regarding the goals and scope of the proposal, including the intent to be available for communications and availability for urgent student and/or department/school matters.
- All applications are submitted to the Department Executive Faculty for recommendation to the Dean and Associate Dean no later than April 30th
- All approved sabbatical applications are forwarded to SoHE September Exec Committee for final approval with Dean’s recommendation.