Observing at the Child Development Lab
The CDL is proud to support the School of Human Ecology and UW-Madison’s teaching mission. We believe that the knowledge gained from naturalistic observations help the adult learner transfer theory into practice, and we are happy to welcome observers in our observation booths.
You may schedule a time to observe from one of our observation booths by following the instructions below.
To schedule an observation in one of our observation booths, email the Teaching and Research Coordinator, Kristin Orlowski, at: CDLresearch@sohe.wisc.edu
In your email, please indicate:
1. The date and time you would like to observe (provide several options, if possible)
a. Available observation times:
i. Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
ii. Monday-Friday, 2:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
2. The purpose of the observation. If it’s for a class, provide the course number
3. Your preferred age group
a. Infants, 6 wks- 2 years
b. 2-3 years
c. 3-5 years, including 4K
For more information about our location, including directions, click here.
- Students must present a photo ID.
- Student observers are required to sign in with their name and course number.
- Parking is not available for students.
- We request that you do not talk to the children. Please try to be as unobtrusive as possible.
- Limit questions to staff.
- No food or drink. Eating or drinking is not permitted inside the observation booth, classroom or on the playground.
- Out of respect for the confidentiality of CDL families and staff, never use the names of children or staff when you discuss an observation.