4k Daily Schedule: 2.5 Hours: 9:00-11:30, M-F
9:00-10:15 (1.25 hours): Choice Time – Mixed Age Group
- Children have the opportunity to explore their own interests and be challenged in their skills and abilities.
- The classroom is arranged into interest areas that focus of the developmental domains found in the Wisconsin Model of Early Learning Standards (WMELS). These standards are aligned with 4k benchmarks to help guide the best possible learning environment.
- Materials in classrooms are developmentally appropriate, interesting, and challenging to the children.
- The classroom environment fosters social interactions between children in order to give them experience in working together and problem solving. This is an essential foundational skill for continued success in academic learning.
- Classroom teachers work with children to facilitate and encourage them to use critical thinking skills.
- Snack time is integrated into the Choice Time, to allow flexibility for small groups of children to come together and practice their social and self-help skills (pouring, counting, serving themselves and cleaning up when finished).
10:15-11:00 (45-60 minutes): Outside Time – Mixed Age Group
- Outside time contributes to the cognitive, physical, social, and emotional well-being of children.
- We view outdoor learning opportunities as an important extension of our indoor classrooms.
- We value the importance of giving children the opportunity to connect with natural materials that help them to develop better self-regulation and attention skills.
- Spending time outdoors allows children time to use and develop their large motor skills as well provide them with the opportunity to explore and develop respect for the natural environment.
- Outside time provides opportunity for social interaction between children
- Classroom activities are often carried over to outside time, using nature as a means for investigating and learning
11:00-11:30 (20-30 minutes): 4k Small Group Activity Time – 4k Children Only
- 4k small group time takes place every day
- Focus of small group time is dependent on child interests, individual ability levels and developmentally appropriate skills of all 4 year olds.
- Group times begin with a welcome and brief discussion concerning the day’s group time. The daily activity is then carried out with a small follow-up discussion prior to the group time’s conclusion