The School of Human Ecology awards up to 50 scholarships each year for SoHE students. On average, students receive $2,000 per scholarship. Visit the Scholarships @ UW-Madison website for a complete listing of SoHE’s undergraduate scholarships.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Current SoHE student at UW-Madison
- In good academic standing
- Full-time student (12-18 credits) during the fall semester when payments are distributed
NOTE: Incoming freshman at UW-Madison are NOT eligible to apply for SoHE scholarships.
Scholarship Application Process
SoHE uses the campus-wide Common Scholarship Application, which means students only complete one application for all SoHE scholarships and are matched behind the scenes with scholarships for which they meet the criteria. The Common Scholarship Application is found in the MyUW account, under the Finance Tab, and under the Scholarships section.
The scholarship application for Fall 2016 is open from October 10, 2016 to December 9, 2016. All current SoHE students will receive an email with more information on the date the application opens.
The application itself includes:
- 1 letter of recommendation (We prefer the letter to be written by a faculty member who can speak to applicant’s ability to succeed in the classroom, but other acceptable recommenders include TAs, past or current supervisors, etc.)
- 2 short essays
- Online profile (found in online application)
Selection Process and Notification
The SoHE Awards Committee reviews applications annually. This committee is comprised of a faculty member from each SoHE department, one instructional/research academic staff member, and one staff member from the Student Academic Affairs & Career Development Office. Selection of recipients is based on academic achievement, qualifications, community involvement, leadership experience, career aspirations, written letters of recommendation, and applicable extenuating circumstances.
Once award decisions are made, students are notified regarding the outcome of their application by April.
Scholarship recipients receive scholarship awards during the following fall semester. The scholarship amount is deposited into Student Center 2-3 weeks into the semester.
Scholarship Information Sessions are held during the open application period. Dates for fall 2016 info sessions are below:
- Friday, November 4; 11am-12pm; 2255 Nancy Nicholas Hall
- Friday, November 11; 1-2pm; 2255 Nancy Nicholas Hall
If you have additional questions beyond what is covered in the information sessions, contact the SoHE Scholarship & Awards Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.