Policies and Procedures

Most policies and procedures can be found in the Academic Guide, which students are responsible for reading. 

Applying for Graduation

All students must apply for graduation as they near completion of their degree and major requirements. The application for graduation is available in the MyUW Student Center.

Minimum Degree Requirements for all SoHE majors:

  • At least 120 credits earned
  • At least 2.0 cumulative GPA
  • Last 30 credits completed in residence

Semester Credit Overload

Students must receive permission from the SoHE SAA office to take more than 18 credits in one fall or spring semester. Please initiate a credit overload request with your SoHE academic advisor.

Academic Standing

Students who do not earn a 2.0 semester GPA will be placed on academic probation or strict probation. Talk with your advisor if you are struggling in classes.

Course Change Request

Adding a class after deadlines, changing the number of course credits, and declaring pass/fail are completed through a Course Change Request in the MyUW Student Center. Most of these actions also require permission from the SoHE SAA office.

Late Drop Petition

SoHE requires that students follow drop deadlines outlined by the Office of the Registrar. Under certain special situations students may request an exception to drop one or more courses after the drop deadline through a petition.

Late Drop Petitions are only considered when students face significant, unforeseeable circumstances outside of their control that negatively impact their ability to successfully complete a course(s).

Students who believe they meet the requirements to petition must meet with their SoHE academic advisor and complete the online petition form.

Waitlist Policy

High-demand courses in the School of Human Ecology do have waitlists that students may register for through their Student Center or the Enrollment App. Students are not guaranteed a space in the class if they enroll on the waitlist. Students should plan ahead and enroll in backup courses in the event they are not admitted.

Waitlists are prioritized by academic level in the major, followed by other students in the School of Human Ecology. Other students are then admitted based on waitlist position as space allows.

If you join a waitlist, please be sure to check your wisc.edu email once daily for a message from the department that you can add the class. Check in often, as you will only have a window of 2 days to add the class. If you miss your 2 day window, you will lose your place on the waitlist and the open seat will be offered to the next student.

Questions regarding waitlists for School of Human Ecology courses may be directed to enrollment@sohe.wisc.edu.

Questions about the general use of a wait list should be referred to the Enrollment Help Desk in the Office of the Registrar.