In applying to the Human Development and Family Studies (HDFS) graduate program, you are also applying to the UW-Madison Graduate School and to the School of Human Ecology (SoHE) as your academic program. Therefore, it is important to be familiar with the UW Graduate School, and SoHE, and the requirements for admission at each level.
- UW Madison Graduate School Requirements for Admission
- Academic Program: School of Human Ecology (SoHE)
- HDFS requires additional information to complete your application. See details below.
NOTE: HDFS is no longer accepting direct applications to the Human Ecology MS: Human Development & Family Studies program. Students interested in pursuing a terminal MS degree specializing in Human Development & Family Studies should apply directly to the “Master of Science in Human Ecology” degree option.
Apply to Human Ecology PhD: Human Development & Family Studies
Submit to the UW Graduate School:
- Online application indicating “Human Ecology PHD – Human Dev & Family Studies” as your program selection
- $75 application fee
- Unofficial transcripts or academic records from each institution attended (official transcripts will be required for students who receive an admission offer)
- Official GRE scores (Institution code: #1846)
- Official TOEFL or Melab scores (International students only)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (Submitted electronically through your Graduate School application)
- Uploaded Statement of Purpose/Reasons for Graduate Study
- Complete the Supplemental Application portion of the online application
To be considered for admission beginning in 2017-18 your application must be received by December 1, 2017. To ensure full consideration in the review process, all application materials – including official transcripts and letters of recommendation – must be received by the deadline.