In applying to the Human Development and Family Studies (HDFS) graduate program, you are also applying to the UW-Madison Graduate School and to the School of Human Ecology (SoHE) as your academic program. Therefore, it is important to be familiar with the UW Graduate School, and SoHE, and the requirements for admission at each level. HDFS requires additional information to complete your application. See details below.
NOTE: Students interested in pursuing a terminal MS degree specializing in Human Development & Family Studies should apply directly to the Master of Science in Human Ecology degree option. HDFS is no longer accepting direct applications to the Human Ecology MS: Human Development & Family Studies program.
Apply to Human Ecology PhD: Human Development & Family Studies
Submit to the UW Graduate School:
- Online application indicating “Human Ecology PHD – Human Dev & Family Studies” as your program selection
- $75 application fee
- Unofficial transcripts or academic records from each institution attended (official transcripts will be required for students who receive an admission offer)
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores (Institution code: #1846) Note: GRE requirements are being waived for Fall 2022. They may be submitted, but applications without GRE scores will not be at a disadvantage
- Official TOEFL or Melab scores (International students only)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (Submitted electronically through your Graduate School application)
- Uploaded Statement of Purpose/Reasons for Graduate Study
- Complete the Supplemental Application portion of the online application
Fall 2021 applications are now closed. To be considered for Fall 2022 admission, your application must be received by December 1, 2022. To ensure full consideration in the review process, all application materials must be received by the deadline.