Admission to the PhD Program
Admission to the Human Ecology PhD: Consumer Behavior & Family Economics program is based on academic merit and fit with the research strengths of the Consumer Science faculty. As such, the student’s Statement of Purpose should clearly indicate how their research interests correspond to the Ph.D. program and faculty strengths.
Applicants with a background in consumer science or related social science disciplines such as economics, political science, and sociology and in research methods and statistics will have the greatest chance of success. Students are eligible to be directly admitted to the Ph.D. program following successful completion of a bachelor’s degree.
Applicants should have successfully completed college-level courses covering subjects including introductory and intermediate microeconomics, consumer behavior, research methods, statistics and regression analysis, and calculus. Students who fail to meet the minimum course requirements for admission may still be admitted to the program but be required to take additional courses.
In applying to the Consumer Behavior & Family Economics graduate program, you are also applying to the UW-Madison Graduate School and to the School of Human Ecology (SoHE) as your academic program. Therefore, it is important to be familiar with the UW Graduate School, and SoHE, and the requirements for admission at each level.
The Statement of Purpose must address why the applicant is interested in pursuing a Ph.D. in this area and at the University of Wisconsin. The statement must explicitly address career goals and area of research interest for their dissertation.
- UW Madison Graduate School Requirements for Admission
- Academic Program: School of Human Ecology (SoHE)
NOTE: Students interested in exclusively pursuing a Master of Science degree specializing in Consumer Behavior & Family Economics should apply directly to the Master of Science in Human Ecology degree option.
Apply to Human Ecology PhD: Consumer Behavior & Family Economics
Submit to the UW Graduate School:
- Online application indicating “Human Ecology PHD – Consmr Behav & Family Econ” as your program selection
- $75 application fee
- Unofficial transcripts or academic records from each institution attended (official transcripts will be required for students who receive an admission offer)
- Official GRE or GMAT scores (Institution code: #1846)
- Official TOEFL or Melab scores (International students only)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (Submitted electronically through your Graduate School application)
- Uploaded Statement of Purpose/Reasons for Graduate Study
To be considered for Fall 2020 admission, your application must be received by December 1, 2019. To ensure full consideration in the review process, all application materials – including official transcripts and letters of recommendation – must be received by the deadline.