By applying to the Civil Society and Community Research (CSCR) graduate program, you are also applying to the UW-Madison Graduate School and to the School of Human Ecology (SoHE) as your academic program. Therefore, it is important to be familiar with the UW Graduate School, and SoHE, and the requirements for admission at each level.
- UW-Madison Graduate School Requirements for Admission
- Academic Program: School of Human Ecology (SoHE)
Apply to Human Ecology PhD: Civil Society and Community Research
Submit to the UW Graduate School:
- An online application indicating “Human Ecology PHD – Civil Society & Comm Research” as your program selection (Students seeking only a Master of Science should indicate “Human Ecology MS” as the program selection)
- $75 application fee
- Unofficial transcripts (official transcripts will be required for students who receive an admission offer)
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores (Institution code: #1846) Note: GRE requirements are being waived for Fall 2021. They may be submitted, but applications without GRE scores will not be at a disadvantage
- Official TOEFL or Melab score (International students only)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (Submitted electronically through your Graduate School application)
- Uploaded Statement of Purpose/Reasons for Graduate Study
- Statement should also include your reasons for studying or seeking a specialization in Civil Society and Community Research. Please indicate these reasons in a separate section of your statement titled, “Reasons for Specializing in Civil Society and Community Research”
- Upload a Writing Sample
- Examples of writing samples include prior scholarly work such as term papers, theses, or published articles. All writing samples must be written in English and uploaded to the online application system as a PDF.
Fall 2020 applications are now closed. To be considered for Fall 2021 admission, your application must be received by December 1, 2020. To ensure full consideration in the review process, all application materials must be received by the deadline.