Academic Policies, Forms & Deadlines

UW-Madison policies regarding graduate education and associated forms can be accessed through the Graduate School’s Office of Admissions and Academic Services which is the Academic Dean’s Office for all graduate students. All forms requiring the dean’s signature should be submitted to this office (for example, course change form, pass-fail form, withdrawal form, credit overload request form). This office also monitors satisfactory progress toward degree completion.

Find important Graduate Forms and Documents on the SoHE KnowledgeBase.

Key Deadlines

Deadlines come from the Office of the Registrar. Enrollment dates and deadlines available by term. The Fall 2021 Application Deadline is December 1, 2020, for most Human Ecology graduate programs.  Please check specific program pages for details.

Request a Degree Warrant

A Degree Warrant is a program’s recommendation that a student be granted a degree (master’s or doctoral), and is the Graduate School’s notification that a student has met both the Graduate School and the program requirements. This form is to be completed by the student during the term in which s/he wishes to receive her/his degree. Master’s students must be enrolled in at least 2 credits during that term, and doctoral students must be enrolled in exactly 3 credits during that term.

Student must submit their request at least 3 weeks before the final oral defense. Please review the Graduate School Degree Deadlines to ensure you have scheduled your final defense within the appropriate degree window.